Just about every year, I take my own swing at seeding the NJSIAA Tournaments. These are not predictions, but suggestions; how I would seed the bracket, not how I think the seeding committee will.
For my seedings, I start with division standings, since finishing ahead of another team in a double-round-robin regular season is usually a very good indicator. Then I look at teams’ non-league results and try to compare them against each other. Finally, I try to avoid matchups that pit division rivals whenever possible.
Here are my suggested seedings for this year’s private state tournament:
- Delbarton – no controversy here, as they finished one game ahead of …
- Don Bosco Prep – 2nd place in Gordon American
- CBA – 3rd place in Gordon American
- St. Augustine Prep – 4th place in Gordon American
- Pope John – Pretty much a toss-up here at 5 and 6. Take your pick.
- Morristown-Beard – Beat BC, SPP, Rid, just like Pope John; needed OT to beat MKA.
- St. Peter’s Prep – lost to Morristown-Beard but beat St. Joseph Montvale
- St. Joseph Metuchen – lost to DBP by one goal, tied Ramsey
- St. Joseph Montvale – lost to SPP, lost to Ramsey
- Gloucester Catholic – 3rd place in Gordon National, tied Notre Dame
- Bergen Catholic – beat Bishop Eustace head-to-head
- Bishop Eustace – beat Notre Dame head-to-head
- Notre Dame – Inconsistent, went 0-1-1 vs. SJMet, tied GC
- Montclair Kimberley – Took MB to OT and tied Ran, but lost to SJMont and ND
- Seton Hall Prep – beat RBC, tied StR
- Red Bank Catholic – lost to SHP, MKA, finished ahead of StR
- Paramus Catholic – not many good wins, but didn’t want RBC/StR to play in 1st round
- St. Rose / Donovan Catholic – finished behind RBC, tied SHP
- Pingry (at-large) – 3-3-4 down stretch, losses to Ran (by 1 goal), BR, MKA
- St. John Vianney (at-large) – Can’t hurt to add one more team
- Paul VI / Camden Catholic – No non-league games, not at level of others
- Frisch – Similar to East Side a few years ago: Great story, despite what will be a first-round exit.